One of the top priorities on the to-do list from Derin, (consultant from Shelter Wise (formerly UrbaNest)) was to fix the failing seal around the bathroom tub. Since I’m on spring break I have more time to invest on fixing up the place.

I decided to tackle it last night.

Here’s some before pictures:

(kitty litter is in place to put weight in the tub for caulking purposes)

IMG_0745 IMG_0746 IMG_0750 IMG_0759

I went to our local hardware store, picked up some supplies and advice and went home to attempt the fix.

My arsenal:

IMG_0742

I called Tomas to let him know I was obsessed with trying to fix it and we wouldn’t be able to shower for a couple of days. He told me to go crazy on it, we can always fix it again or re-do it if it doesn’t work. Oh yeah, that’s right, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Pressure was off.

Removing the old caulk, old glue bits, and sealant was harder, more tedious, and took more time than I thought it would. But I did my best. I researched how to remove varnish stains from the plastic, but unfortunately it’s something that should have been cleaned immediately after it was stained. The yellow discoloration is permanent for now…until we decide to sand down the tub edges or find bath tub paint.

It’s far from perfect, but it’s certainly better (and now less moldy) than it was.

After:

IMG_0774 IMG_0779 IMG_0780 IMG_0783 IMG_0786 IMG_0788IMG_0785

Next up is sealing the shower-head and kitchen counter, and painting the cabinet under the sink.

Wish me luck!

Audrey

Advertisements